Painful Subacute Cubital Tunnel Syndrome Because of an Intra-Cubital Tunnel Ganglion Cyst: A Case Report
Background: Entrapment of the ulnar nerve in the cubital tunnel occurs as the second most common compression neuropathy of the upper limb. Although the usual etiology is idiopathic or following cubitus valgus, a compressing mass can be a rare ca use and should be considered in atypical presentation.
Case Report: A 45-year-old male patient presented with subacute onset of cubital tunnel syndrome that progressed rapidly and was associated with significant pain. An intra-canal ganglion cyst was found during surgical decompression of the ulnar nerve.
Conclusion: Diagnosis of intra-cubital canal mass should be considered when sudden onset and rapid progression of the cubital tunnel syndrome and dramatic pain coincide. Imaging modalities like ultrasound or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) may be helpful to reach the correct diagnosis before the surgery.
2. O'Driscoll SW, Horii E, Carmichael SW, Morrey BF. The cubital tunnel and ulnar neuropathy. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991;73(4):613-7. doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.73B4.2071645. [PubMed: 2071645].
3. Chauhan M, Anand P, Das M. Cubital tunnel syndrome. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing; 2019.
4. Li P, Lou D, Lu H. The cubital tunnel syndrome caused by intraneural ganglion cyst of the ulnar nerve at the elbow: a case report. BMC Neurol. 2018;18(1):217. doi: 10.1186/s12883-018- 1229-7. [PubMed: 30579340]. [PubMed Central: PMC6303969].
5. Kato H, Hirayama T, Minami A, Iwasaki N, Hirachi K. Cubital tunnel syndrome associated with medial elbow Ganglia and osteoarthritis of the elbow. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2002;84(8):1413-9. doi: 10.2106/00004623-200208000-00017. [PubMed: 12177272].
6. Sharma RR, Pawar SJ, Delmendo A, Mahapatra AK. Symptomatic epineural ganglion cyst of the ulnar nerve in the cubital tunnel: A case report and brief review of the literature. J Clin Neurosci. 2000;7(6):542-3. doi: 10.1054/jocn.2000.0676. [PubMed: 11029237].
7. Trehan SK, Parziale JR, Akelman E. Cubital tunnel syndrome: diagnosis and management. Med Health R I. 2012;95(11):349-52. [PubMed: 23477279].
8. Talebi S, Sheibani S, Teimourey A, Dehghan M. Carpal tunnel syndrome secondary to the lipoma mass: a case report and review of literature. J Orthop Spine Trauma. 2022;7(4):159-161. doi: 10.18502/jost.v7i4.8866.
|Issue||Vol 8, No 4 (2022)|
|Ganglion Cyst Cubital Tunnel Syndrome Ulnar Nerve|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|