Traumatic, Old, and Unreduced Bilateral Knee Dislocation: A Case Study and Literature Review
Background: Old unreduced knee dislocation is rare, which means the experience is still lacking about the best treatment options. Moreover, several surgical options for this condition are still lacking in peer-reviewed research. This is a case report of the treatment of a patient who had bilateral traumatic knee dislocations that were unreduced two months after injury.
Case Presentation: A 45-year-old man with bilateral traumatic unreduced knee dislocation came 2 months after injury. He had no active knee extension and was unable to walk. He underwent open reduction and external fixation. He had a good range of motion (ROM) and painless walking in short term. After 5 years, he had acceptable ROM and painless walking, but x-rays showed persistent posterior subluxation of the left knee and some bone loss of the right tibia.
Conclusions: Open reduction, repair of torn ligaments, and external fixation was an effective treatment in regaining ROM and stability in a patient who had bilateral unreduced knee dislocations of two months duration. After five years, the patient had a satisfactory function, but radiographs showed persistent posterior subluxation of one knee and some bone loss of the tibia in the other
2. Vicente-Guillen P, Figa-Mataro J, Coloma-Bellver J. Long-standing unreduced dislocation of the knee. A case report. Int Orthop. 1998;22(4):275-6. doi: 10.1007/s002640050259.
[PubMed: 9795820]. [PubMed Central: PMC3619615].
3. Chen HC, Chiu FY. Chronic knee dislocation treated with arthroplasty. Injury Extra. 2007;38(8):258-61.
4. Richter M, Lobenhoffer P. Chronic posterior knee dislocation: Treatment with arthrolysis, posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction and hinged external fixation device. Injury. 1998;29(7):546-9. doi: 10.1016/s0020-1383(98)00095-3. [PubMed: 10193500].
5. Said HG, Learmonth DJ. Chronic irreducible posterolateral knee dislocation: Two-stage surgical approach. Arthroscopy. 2007;23(5):564. doi: 10.1016/j.arthro.2005.12.046. [PubMed: 17478296].
6. Saini R, Mootha AK, Goni VG, Dhillon MS. Neglected irreducible posterolateral knee dislocation. Indian J Orthop. 2010;44(4):468-70. doi: 10.4103/0019-5413.69323. [PubMed: 20924494]. [PubMed Central: PMC2947740].
7. Simonian PT, Wickiewicz TL, Hotchkiss RN, Warren RF. Chronic knee dislocation: Reduction, reconstruction, and application of a skeletally fixed knee hinge. A report of two cases. Am J Sports Med. 1998;26(4):591-6. doi: 10.1177/03635465980260042201. [PubMed: 9689385].
8. Henshaw RM, Shapiro MS, Oppenheim WL. Delayed reduction of traumatic knee dislocation. A case report and literature review. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996;(330):152-6. doi: 10.1097/00003086-199609000-00018. [PubMed: 8804285].
9. Petrie RS, Trousdale RT, Cabanela ME. Total knee arthroplasty for chronic posterior knee dislocation: Report of 2 cases with technical considerations. J Arthroplasty. 2000;15(3):380-6. doi: 10.1016/s0883-5403(00)90854-4. [PubMed: 10794237].
10. Leonardi F, Zorzan A, Palermo A, Molfetta L. Neglected posterior knee dislocation: An unusual case report. Joints. 2017;5(4):253-5. doi: 10.1055/s-0037-1607219. [PubMed: 29270565]. [PubMed Central: PMC5738492].
11. Jabalameli M, Bagherifard A, Hadi H, Askari A, Ghaffari S. Total knee arthroplasty for chronic anterior knee dislocation. Clin Med Insights Case Rep. 2018;11:1179547618782882. doi: 10.1177/1179547618782882. [PubMed: 29977119]. [PubMed Central: PMC6024489].
Copyright (c) 2020 Journal of Orthopedic and Spine Trauma
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.